We are a community that thinks a little differently about solving problems
Mission United is the first-ever coordinated network of community resources in Hampton Roads providing relief and support to veterans, active duty military members and their families.Learn More
United For Children
United for Children brings together Hampton Roads community partners to provide resources and opportunities for children and families living in or at risk of falling into extreme poverty.Learn More
We approach problems strategically, using science, data analysis, and sound business practices. We have the long-term relationships, the trust, the infrastructure, dedicated staff and thousands of community volunteers to fight for a stronger community for generations to come.Learn More
Our volunteers — community leaders and donors — make sure the money you donate to United Way agency partners is spent efficiently to solve the community’s most urgent problems.Learn More
The Greater Hampton Roads Community Indicators Dashboard measures factors that most significantly impact our region’s quality of life. We track meaningful, accurate, and standardized data over time to show how our community is doing.Learn More
Be a part of the solution!
You Help Lift an Entire Community
There are many great causes of national and worldwide importance. People from all over donate to them. But the only people meeting our local needs – shelters for children, programs for the disabled, meals for the low-income elderly – are those who live here in South Hampton Roads. If we don’t help our most vulnerable neighbors, no one else will.
FOR ALL CHILDREN TO SUCCEED
We support the whole child, driving success in school by improving:
- Children’s lives outside of the classroom
- Emotional and physical health
- Extra time with teachers
- Skills like teamwork, communications, critical thinking, and resilience
SUPPORT DURING A CRISIS
It can happen to anyone:
- Catastrophic illness or injury
- Loss of a job
- A child born with a disability
- Domestic violence
- Financial problems
We always will provide a safety net of essential and urgent services.
ENSURING HEALTHY MINDS & BODIES
We fill in the gaps, providing access to critical dental, mental and
physical care, and good nutrition to those who need it the most.
BUILDING CAPACITY IN THE COMMUNITY
We practice Collective Impact — working together to identify
problems too big for any of us to solve on our own. When changing lives is
the focus, it’s rare that any one single service can make that happen.
Hundreds of thousands were helped by United Way donations last year! Here’s how:
- Children & their families break the cycle of poverty with extra support at school & at home
- Neighbors in need get jobs, housing & life skills education
- Disabled, elderly & sick neighbors receive essential & urgent care
- Veterans & military-connected families get aid for health, housing, jobs, education and emergencies
- Half of the $16 million raised goes directly to specific agencies that donors designate.
- A third of the $16 million raised goes to the United Way General Fund, where it is used to do the most good in the community. United Way corporate and community volunteers vet the many partner agencies that receive this money. They spend hundreds of hours personally visiting the agencies, reviewing their financials and program results to be sure your donation is spent carefully.
- Less than 15% of the $16 million raised goes to United Way overhead. The Better Business Bureau says a well-run charity’s overhead stays below 35%.
- The remainder of the $16 million raised is used to expand community programs like United for Children, Mission United and GHRConnects.org.