We are a community that thinks a little differently about solving problems.
Help us change the odds.
You Help Lift an Entire Community
There are many great causes of national and worldwide importance. People from all over donate to them. But the only people meeting our local needs – shelters for children, programs for the disabled, meals for the low-income elderly – are those who live here in South Hampton Roads. If we don’t help our most vulnerable neighbors, no one else will.
FOR ALL CHILDREN TO SUCCEED
We support the whole child, driving success in school by improving:
- Children’s lives outside of the classroom
- Emotional and physical health
- Extra time with teachers
- Skills like teamwork, communications, critical thinking, and resilience
SUPPORT DURING A CRISIS
It can happen to anyone:
- Catastrophic illness or injury
- Loss of a job
- A child born with a disability
- Domestic violence
- Financial problems
We always will provide a safety net of essential and urgent services.
ENSURING HEALTHY MINDS & BODIES
We fill in the gaps, providing access to critical dental, mental and
physical care, and good nutrition to those who need it the most.
BUILDING CAPACITY IN THE COMMUNITY
We practice Collective Impact — working together to identify
problems too big for any of us to solve on our own. When changing lives is
the focus, it’s rare that any one single service can make that happen.
Hundreds of thousands were helped by United Way donations last year! Here’s how:
- Children & their families break the cycle of poverty with extra support at school & at home
- Neighbors in need get jobs, housing & life skills education
- Disabled, elderly & sick neighbors receive essential & urgent care
- Veterans & military-connected families get aid for health, housing, jobs, education and emergencies
- Half of the $16 million raised goes directly to specific agencies that donors designate.
- A third of the $16 million raised goes to the United Way General Fund, where it is used to do the most good in the community. United Way corporate and community volunteers vet the many partner agencies that receive this money. They spend hundreds of hours personally visiting the agencies, reviewing their financials and program results to be sure your donation is spent carefully.
- Less than 15% of the $16 million raised goes to United Way overhead. The Better Business Bureau says a well-run charity’s overhead stays below 35%.
- The remainder of the $16 million raised is used to expand community programs like United for Children, Mission United and GHRConnects.org.